Monday, December 17, 2012
We Wait With Joy [Luke 1:39-56]
Sermon Discussion Questions
*Ryan started out by talking about the serious tragedy in Connecticut and asked the question we may feel "is there any possibility of joy in a world like this?" What reality about Christmas and the gospel allows us to talk and even experience joy in as tragic as this?
*At one point Ryan described the first few chapters of Luke as "The flash mob of the New Testament". The outburst of Joy at the coming of Jesus stirred a song into the hearts and mouth of Mary, does Jesus still stir a
song in you?
*There was a great bond of friendship between Mary and Elizabeth, one that allowed them to share the great joy of the special conceptions and children they both were bearing. Has God provided in your life that you can share great moments of joy with?
*Is there only a sentimental or pithy bond between friends bound together in Christ, or is there something special about sharing in the joy of Jesus together with a friend?
*Are you excited for Jesus to come a second time? Why or why not?
*Ryan encouraged us a family of believers to find joy in reading the Bible, find joy in corporate worship on Sunday mornings and evenings, and joy in the cross generational friendships within our church. How seriously do you take this challenge?
Didn't get a chance to listen to the sermon? Click here to listen!
Monday, December 10, 2012
We Wait With Humility [Luke 1:26-38]
Sermon Discussion Questions
*Ryan said Mary is a model for us. What is she a model or example of?
*"The human heart has this amazing capacity to grasp for that which we do not have". How does entitlement have a way of sneaking into your own life?
*Mary's response to the angel is that she is the servant of the Lord. Ryan challenged us to think of when we have been disappointed and hurt, is our response one of faith like Mary's?
*Christ gave up what he rightly deserve in order to give us what we do not deserve. In a moment Jesus gave up heaven, for earth, royal riches for earthly squalor. What example does Jesus set for us in his advent?
*Mary didn't win a contest. God himself showed her grace, and that grace made her uncomfortable. How does grace make us uncomfortable? Why does grace make us uncomfortable?
*Living a life of entitlement is the worst thing we can do for ourselves. Do you really think you don't deserve to be treated as the most important person in the room?
Didn't get a chance to hear the sermon? Click hear to listen!
Monday, December 3, 2012
Waiting with Faith [Luke 1:5-25]
Sermon Discussion Question
- As we heard of Zechariah and Elizabeth we met a couple who had given up on hope. They had waited for a very long time for a child. As we approach Christmas what is it that we wait for and through?
- What is the significance of the place that Zechariah met Gabriel?
- We are all participants in this great story. In all the things that happen to us, around us, through us, there is a larger story and purpose. For Zechariah he got to see how all the little coincidences connected. How was God active in this moment of Zechariah's life?
- In a moment the tapestry of our life looks jumbled, in the midst of life we can't always see the purpose, but one we will see the other side of the tapestry. What are ways that you have had glimpses at the other side of the tapestry?
- We were challenged to wait with faith and wait through faith. Who is it that we now wait for? How is it a challenge to wait?
Didn't get a chance to hear the sermon? Click here to listen!